Why is this even a topic for a blog? Why is there a show called teen-mom? It blows my mind.
Want to hear some statistics? I'm sure you do.
- Although only 13% of teens have had sex by age 15, most initiate sex in their later teen years. By their 19th birthday, seven in 10 female and male teens have had intercourse.
- Seven percent of young women aged 18–24 who had had sex before age 20 report that their first sexual experience was nonvoluntary.
- A sexually active teen who does not use a contraceptive has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year.
- Young people aged 13–24 made up about 17% of all people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in the United States in 2008.
- Although 15–24-year-olds represent only one-quarter of the sexually active population, they account for nearly half (9.1 million) of the 18.9 million new cases of STIs each year.
- Each year, almost 750,000 U.S. women aged 15–19 become pregnant.
- The U.S. teen pregnancy rate continues to be one of the highest in the developed world. It is more than twice as high as rates in Canada.
- Fifty-nine percent of pregnancies among 15–19-year-olds in 2008 ended in birth, and 26% in abortion.
So here we've got unplanned pregnancy, STD's, rape, and abortion, all up front and on the table. There's no denying the stats. This is what's happening in our country right now. It's not a joke, lives have been altered and futures have been crushed. All because these kids just couldn't say no?
Yes, kids. You live with your parents. You don't pay bills. You are a freshman in high-school. You are a kid. You want to have sex? No. Go play with your dolls.
No one is perfect, not a single person can honestly say they've never made a mistake. Having sex before you are in a committed marriage relationship is not a harmless mistake. A mistake is when you leave your lights on in your car and the battery is dead the next morning when you need to go to work. A baby is not a mistake.
Say it with me, "No."
See how easy that was?
Want to have sex?
1 Corinthians 6:18-20
"Run away from sexual sin. Every other sin done is outside their bodies, but those who sin sexually, sin against their own bodies. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."