Sunday, September 9, 2012

Algebra>absolutely nothing

Can anyone tell me why I'll need to know the quadratic equation later in life? Anyone? Because I can't really see its usefulness in real life situations. Like ever. For any reason at all.

Oh no, that man is choking, someone give him the quadratic equation.

You're really trying to rob me? Don't mess with me pal, I know how to use the quadratic equation.

Should I put "can use quadratic formula" on my resume for Arby's?  

Hey pretty lady, I passed algebra one and lets just say I have extensive knowledge of the quadratic equation, want to date?

The truth of the matter is that the only reason I'm forcing myself to sit through just under an hour of torture everyday my senior year is so that I can rightfully say I took 4 years of math in high school on my college applications. I have absolutely zero desire to actually be taking pre-calculus. It's disgusting. Calculus is just algebra's cynical cousin.

There was an article in the New York Times debating if algebra should be a required class to take in most high schools, due to the fact that it is rarely used outside of the classroom once students leave college and enter the real world. It doesn't teach life skills, it doesn't enhance your ability to get a job, it has even been proven as one of the main reasons students drop out of high school.

The link to the full article is below.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html?_r=1

Can I get an Amen? I've lost so many brain cells sitting in math classrooms listening to teachers drone on and on in a language I do not speak. I would rather be doing something much more productive with my precious time, thank you.

So before you try to convince me about how this class isn't pointless, and that I'll use algebra in my everyday life. You are sadly mistaken, and unfortunately I have already resumed tuning you out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment