Sunday, December 9, 2012

A dream is a wish your heart makes


After all, Disney isn't their generation, it's mine. The little girls I watch after school beg me to put in a movie on half days. Seeing their shelf-full of classics, "How about The Little Mermaid?" says I. "No, we want to watch the new Katy Perry tour movie."

...sigh.
  
In my opinion, a lot of the classics came out in the 90's and early 2000's, which would have put me at a prime age for Disney to captivate me with their stories. I was about three when I saw my first movie in a real theater. It was Hercules, and I was hooked.

Disney movies literally can make my day. If Aladdin is on ABC family, you know what I'm doing that night. When I go to my dad's house a couple days every week, I expect there to be a stack of library movies with the Disney logo right front and center on each disc. I still remember all the words to the songs, and you bet your lunch money I sing along, loud and proud.   

Sadly, I fear that some recent Disney movies would have Walt rolling over in his grave. Only select few have played on my heart-strings just as they did when I was a kid. The Princess and the Frog, and Tangled, were done in the spirit of the great princess movies before them. Tip of my hat to the fine people that got that right.

The classics, the movies that took a little more effort than an all-star cast and extremely high budget production department, are the ones that I'm referring too. These movies are meant to be seen as inspirational, exciting, and beautiful stories, told for a greater purpose.
By looking at "the moral of the story" of one of my favorites, perhaps we can establish why these movies are so beloved.

Cinderella:
Be kind, have faith, and your dreams will come true.
If there ever were a greater message, I've yet to find one. Though she is not the most adored princess by spiteful feminists, (seeing how she had to find a man to sweep her off her feet before her life really began), Cinderella is an inspiration, and I think they're all just jealous. She is a beautiful character, she is patient, and selfless, and she sings the most exquisite song, "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes."

"No matter how your heart is grieving, if you just keep on believing, the dream that you wish, will come true." 

The Little Mermaid taught me to never give up.  Pocahontas told me to accept those who are different than me. Mulan said that anyone can be a hero. Beauty and the Beast proved that beauty is truly found from within.
The list goes on and on.

In my eyes, it's plain to see that these movies are more than entertainment, they have guided my opinions about how I should treat others, and in turn, how I should demand respect for myself. Some could say that they're just silly kids movies, but honestly, I don't think that these people have taken the time to understand the outstanding messages that these movies withhold.

Disney, I will forever be a fan, and to all you haters, Hakuna Matata.

No comments:

Post a Comment