Sunday, October 7, 2012

What do you want to do before you die?

One of my favorite shows, MTV's "The Buried Life," asks this question during each episode. The four main guys on the show travel the nation accomplishing their bucket list, while helping others accomplish their own along the way. So far, they've crashed a parade, helped a man find his long lost son, capture a fugitive, donate computers to an elementary school, and so much more. I admire these guys because they took a different approach to how they wanted to live their lives, they wanted to live like they were dying.

What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you regret? I sure don't want to look back on my life and wish I could have seen more things or met more people. I guess you could call it a YOLO mentality, because it's true, you only live once. But that doesn't mean I want to do things I'm going to regret the next day. I don't want to live like there's no tomorrow, I want to experience the best things of today.

My friends and I have always joked around about having bucket lists, we talk about fun and exciting things we want to do, and weird and stupid things we've already done. I'm pretty sure that I was one of the first of my friends to actually sit down and write out everything I wanted to do. It was on a paper plate at my friend Riley's house, and to be honest, I can't find that paper plate anywhere. But from memory, I've recreated my list below.

*Travel Europe
Kiss a stranger
Jump into a pool fully clothed
*Ride a giraffe
See Train in concert
*Be in two places at once
Leave the country
Dine and dash
Get kicked out of a store
*Dunk a basketball
Go through the drive-thru backwards and on foot
Stay up all night 
*Meet Taylor Swift and/or Robert Pattinson
*Skydive 

The items that have been starred are what I have yet to do, you could say they are the more lofty of my bucket list goals, but I have no trouble believing that they will get done. On a side note, if some of the items I've already done seem a little out of character for me, I can assure you that they were done without causing harm to my conscience. For instance, I dine and dashed at McDonald's, so I ordered food and then left. I got kicked out of Walmart for wearing a leopard print bra over my clothes, and I kissed a stranger for literally .3 seconds. Plus he turned out to be a very nice boy.

My point is this, I believe that everyone should have a bucket list to call their own. Even though the things on mine may seem silly or unimportant, they are memories I've gained and will gain because I took the initative to do them. It's a very rewarding thing to cross an item off of a list, it's something that you can look back on and smile at what you've accomplished. Why wait until you're dying to live like you're dying?

Isaiah 26:12
"LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us."

Colossians 4:5
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity."

Galatians 6:10
"Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment